Marriage Licenses


Dakota County process and manages Marriage Licenses that are issued in our County. We do not have records for any other County. If you are looking for a statewide search, please contact Vital Records.

How do I get a marriage License?

  1. The issuance of Marriage Licenses preferred hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays. Licenses will be issued until the closing of the courthouse; however, arriving after 3:30 p.m. may result in delay from issuing a license the same day.
  2. Both applicants must be at least 19 years of age without parental consent.
  3. Parental consent required for applicants who are 17 or 18 years of age. The parental consent forms are also available at the County Clerk's office. You cannot marry in Nebraska if you are under 17.
  4. One form of identification is required-i.e. Drivers License or Passport and Birth Certificate 
    • Drivers License/ID: Must be U.S. issued.
    • Passport: Must be issued by a Government agency
    • If a Drivers License or Passport is not available for use as Identification. We will accept a Birth Certificate but only if you have an additional form of Government issued photo-identification translated into English if it is in another language accompanying the Birth Certificate. A birth certificate by itself cannot positively establish identity. The birth certificate must be in English or have been translated into English by one of the translators registered with our office. The original birth certificate must be presented at the time of the application.
  5. Need to know birthplace of bride and groom.
  6. Need full names and birthplaces of both parents.
  7. Need mother’s maiden name.
  8. If the applicant/s had a previous marriage, we will need to know the date the marriage ended(Date of divorce decree or date of death).
  9. Blood test: Not required.
  10. If you are getting married in any other state than Nebraska you must get the marriage license in that state.
  11. Licenses are good for one year from date of issuance, Therefore, the couple has to be married within one year. The couple must reapply for another license if the first license expires.
  12. A couple may apply for a marriage license in any county in Nebraska and use it to be married in any other Nebraska county. A Nebraska marriage license is good only in Nebraska, you cannot get married in Iowa or any other state with a Nebraska marriage license.
  13. To receive a certified copy of a Dakota County marriage license we need to receive $9.00 (check or money order). We now collect this fee at the time the license is issued unless otherwise directed.

*You may print out and print on the Marriage Worksheet prior to coming in*

What are the fees?

Marriage License: $25.00
Certified Copy: $9.00
TOTAL: $34.00

These fees are pursuant to LB88 and Neb. Rev. Stat. 33-110

How do I get a Certified Copy?

Certified copies will only be issued to the person named in the document, their immediate family, legal guardians, or legal representatives & Government Officials. Legal Guardians and legal representatives must provide a copy of the document authorizing guardianship or representation. The applicant must provide photo identification.

You may come into our office located at 1601 Broadway, Dakota City NE to obtain a certified copy. Or you can print out an application for certified copy of marriage certificate and fill it out then mail it to:      
Dakota County Clerk
PO Box 39
Dakota City, NE 68731

Certified Copy Fee: $9.00 (we can accept Cash, Check, or Money Order)

PLEASE NOTE: If the Marriage License was issued in any other county, you will need to obtain a certified copy through Vital Records in Lincoln. These are provided by them at a cost of $16.00 per certified copy.
Application for Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

How do I Amend my marriage license?

In a situation where you need to amend your marriage license (such as an incorrect spelling or incorrect information) you will need to amend the marriage license through Vital Records in Lincoln. This is done through an application which will need to be submitted to them.